Anyone who knows me will tell you I am a huge fan of my local library. The library is my go to source for research and for free fun activities. Yes I said ‘fun’. Here are fifteen of my favorite things you can do for free at your local library.
1. Genealogy: Research your family’s history and the time period that surrounds it, who knows what exciting stories exist in the unearthed family tales.
2. Get Healthy: From fitness videos to recipes a wealth of health information is likely to be found hidden in the stacks.
3. Learn About Where You Live: Ever wonder why your city is the way it is or where a local street gets its name, look it up.
4. Join a Book Club: Often libraries have established book clubs or ways for readers to begin them.
5. Try a New Genre: The library is a great place for literary exploration. If you are looking for a change of pace inquire with a librarian who may be able to direct you towards a new and exciting genre.
6. Dig Into Music: Learn about the history of music, try a new CD, or even teach yourself to play a new instrument with free library resources.
7. Learn About Technology: From books on social networking to advanced technical manuals, the library can help you access emerging technologies.
8. Go to an Event: Libraries work hard to create interesting and informative events such as book signings and workshops, which are often free.
9. Start A Project: Everyone has a project they are waiting to begin from beginning your own business to making a kitchen window plant box, consider starting at the library.
10. Be Inspired: Words have started wars and silenced them, there is no reason they can’t assist you as well.
11. Find Out About the Extras: What does you library have you haven’t used? Maybe a microfiche system or a non-fiction DVD section, inquire with a librarian about your branch’s hidden resources.
12. Free Library Roam: Consider walking up and down aisles looking for something that just jumps out at you.
13. Be a Kid Again: Some of the most creative stories are written for children and there is no reason you shouldn’t also enjoy them.
14. Volunteer: Is there an upcoming library event you could volunteer your time for? Maybe the librarians could use an extra hand on the weekends, if you have time why not commit it to this great community resource.
15. Enjoy the Quiet: Libraries are a great place to chill out and simply be quiet, find a good spot and take some “me time”.
This list is just the beginning. If you are still looking for a way to make the library work for you, I recommend speaking with a librarian.
Sorry, comments are closed for this article.